Appeon y SAP han firmado un acuerdo para el desarrollo de PowerBuilder (incluyendo InfoMaker). Appeon será responsable del desarrollo, ventas y soporte de su oferta que aprovecha la tecnología de PowerBuilder, cuyo nombre será Appeon PowerBuilder.
Appeon has major innovations planned from mobile and cloud deployment to test-driven development and
continuous integration, and plans to release its new version of PowerBuilder in the first-half of 2017.
Please refer to the following resources for more info:
- Press Release: http://www.appeon.com/pbpr
- SAP Announcement: http://scn.sap.com/community/powerbuilder
- Important FAQs: http://www.appeon.com/pbfaqs
- New Roadmap: http://www.appeon.com/recordings
- Submit PB bugs: http://www.appeon.com/pbbugs
- Sign up to receive important PowerBuilder and Appeon news
- Accelerate application development with an intuitive visual-driven user interface
- Turn complex data access, manipulation, and presentation into an easy, nearly codeless, experience
- Minimize development cost and risk while incorporating new and emerging technologies
- Use your relational database management system (RDBMS) of choice
- Communicate via Web Services, produce .NET assemblies, and deploy to multiple platforms
- Future-proof critical enterprise applications by leveraging existing skill-sets
Although major changes are expected, Appeon plans to retain the DNA of PowerBuilder and build upon its strengths.
Appeon announced on July 5, 2016 that it entered into an agreement with SAP to develop a new generation of the
PowerBuilder development platform. Below are some answers to some common questions you may have about the
agreement and the future of PowerBuilder. The official press release is available to view here.
1. Will existing SAP customers receive Appeon’s new release?
Appeon and SAP have decided to offer two distinct product lines even though both are based on a fork of PowerBuilder
12.6. SAP customers on active maintenance will only be entitled to EBFs and tech support from SAP. However, SAP and
Appeon have worked closely together to come up with very attractive pricing to help SAP customer upgrade to Appeon’s
PowerBuilder version. In addition, Appeon will be running a special promotion for customers that reserve their copy of
PowerBuilder ahead of time. For more details please register for the Webcast on July 28, 2016.
2. How will Appeon price PowerBuilder in the future?
The future pricing of PowerBuilder will be more affordable and simpler than in the past. Details will be announced in a
webcast by Appeon. Register for the Webcast
3. When will SAP stop supporting PowerBuilder 12.6?
Please check the SAP Product Availability Matrix.
4. When will Appeon release a new version of PowerBuilder?
Appeon has currently scheduled to release a new version of PowerBuilder in the first-half of 2017.
5. What will the new version of PowerBuilder be called?
The next release of PowerBuilder will be called Appeon PowerBuilder 2017. Depending on the level and nature of changes
to the product, future versions will either have a revision denotation (e.g. PowerBuilder 2017 R2) or an updated date
version (e.g. PowerBuilder 2018). Patches and maintenance releases (MRs) will have an updated build number.
6. What will be the new features of PowerBuilder 2017?
The major new features for the first release are Windows 10 compatibility and updated database drivers, mobile
deployment to iOS and Android, native PDF printing, RichTextEdit enhancements, and a new simpler licensing
mechanism. We strongly encourage you to watch the high-level roadmap Webinar recording to get a better
understanding of these features as well as the roadmap in general.
7. What will the upgrade/migration process be like?
Appeon’s PowerBuilder 2017 shares the DNA of SAP’s PowerBuilder 12.6. As such, the process of upgrading from
PowerBuilder 12.6 to 2017 should be relatively seamless. For customers on older versions the process of upgrading to
PowerBuilder 2017 should be similar to upgrading to PowerBuilder 12.6. We intend to make Appeon PowerBuilder 2017
substantially backwards compatible with at least SAP PowerBuilder 12.x.
8. Who do I go to for tech support (including licensing issues)?
SAP PowerBuilder 12.6 customers will be serviced by SAP and Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 customers will be serviced by
Appeon. In certain regions, SAP and/or Appeon may engage localization partners to provide tech support services in local
language. Please note that Appeon will not be able to provide any patches or tech support for SAP’s PowerBuilder 12.x.
Appeon plans to release its new version of PowerBuilder in the first-half of 2017. Register the Webcast now to
understand our plans for the future. The future of PowerBuilder Webinar series shares important information about our
plans, and you get the opportunity to interact with us live. There are only limited slots available on a first-come basis on
the day of the Webinar so please don’t be late!
Upcoming Webcast 5: Low-level Roadmap
Presenter: Armeen Mazda, CEO of Appeon
Description: Clarifies important details about the first new release of PowerBuilder by Appeon. Topics covered include
scheduled release date, details about new features, new licensing mechanism, and source code upgrade process.
Date: July 28, 2016
Recorded Webcast 1: Vision for PowerBuilder
Updates the PowerBuilder community on the status of PowerBuilder, and shares Appeon’s vision for the future direction
of the product.
Recorded Webcast 2: Application Architecture
Introduces the runtime and deployment architecture of future PowerBuilder apps.
Recorded Webcast 3: Application Development
Explains how PowerBuilder will be used to maintain existing 2-tier apps, migrate to the cloud or C#, and develop new
Recorded Webcast 4: High-level Roadmap
Provides the priority of major changes planned for PowerBuilder over the next several years, which includes general
timelines and key features for each major phase. Also, other topics related to release management will be discussed,
such as release cycles, beta programs, and feature request process.