APPEON POWERBUILDER 2019
San Francisco, January 22, 2021
Appeon, a provider of software for accelerating the development of data-rich business apps, today announced the general availability of PowerBuilder 2019 R3. This release provides a groundbreaking new app deployment technology called PowerClient. PowerClient securely automates the installation and update of client apps over HTTPS, and supports both client/server and cloud project types. This paves the way for PowerBuilder to create installable cloud apps (Internet-deployable native apps with cloud-native architecture). To support the rapid creation of cloud assets within the PowerBuilder family of products, the .NET DataStore has been greatly enhanced with asynchronous capability, various code generation utilities, enhanced debugging, and support for Amazon Aurora and Azure cloud databases. Aside from many other valuable new features, PowerBuilder 2019 R3 is a long-term support (LTS) version that replaces previous LTS versions.
PowerBuilder 2019 R3 includes the following key enhancements for PowerScript and C# projects.
PowerScript Development Enhancements
- Automated Deployment – PowerClient securely automates the installation and update of client apps over HTTPS, and supports both client/server and cloud project types. The client files are encrypted, digitally signed, and verified for integrity before executing. It eliminates the headaches and costs associated with creating installation programs, deploying apps to users, and keeping apps updated.
- Multiple Runtime Versions Compilation – The PowerBuilder IDE now supports switching the runtime version used for running, debugging, and compiling your application. You can switch both backwards and forwards between major versions, revisions, and maintenance releases. It enables developers to get enhancements to the IDE without affecting runtime, maintain multiple projects with various runtime versions, and easily revert back runtime versions.
- Apache ECharts – Apache ECharts now integrates seamlessly with PowerBuilder and DataWindow technology. A demo app is provided to demonstrate how to easily enrich PowerBuilder with modern interactive charts. Visualize your data with new graph styles, such as gauges, heatmap, candlestick, scatter, and funnel. Then quickly drill-down, segment, and filter the chart data.
- Microsoft UI Automation – PowerBuilder now supports the Microsoft UI Automation framework, making your apps more accessible and opening up the possibility to automate processes. Simply configure the accessible properties to benefit from automated testing tools, RPA tools, and compliance with accessibility regulations.
- Git Enhancements – Git integration has been greatly enhanced, allowing you to perform complex Git operations from within the PowerBuilder IDE. Easily create & switch branches, merge conflicts, and review detailed error logs, greatly improving your productivity of using Git with your PowerScript projects.
C# Development Enhancements
- .NET Core 3.1 Support – SnapDevelop now supports developing C# projects based on .NET Core 3.1. Besides being an LTS version, .NET Core 3.1 includes a number of improvements, such as new JSON APIs, support for ARM 64, C# 8.0, etc.
- Async Programming – The new asynchronous CRUD methods provided in the .NET DataStore enables developers to build apps that are more scalable & responsive. Supports asynchronous query & saving, embedded and dynamic SQL, and scaffolding asynchronous services and controllers.
- Enhanced Debugging – Debug your C# projects in SnapDevelop more easily and quickly. The debugger has been refactored and also supports debugging asynchronous and multi-threaded projects.
- Docker Enhancement – You can easily complete your Docker deployment, image and container management, and Docker compose management within the new Docker Explorer of SnapDevelop.
- PowerScript Projects – Provides support for the new Microsoft OLE DB Driver (MSOLEDBSQL), which supports SQL Server 2012 – 2019 and replaces the native client (SQLNCLI) that has been deprecated by Microsoft.
- C# Projects – Greatly expands database compatibility, supporting Amazon Aurora and Azure cloud-specific database types, SAP HANA, and Sybase ASE.
San Francisco, April 23 2020
PowerBuilder 2019 R2 continues Appeon’s product roadmap to modernize your application UI, functionality, and architecture, with minimal effort. If you are still in an SAP/Sybase PowerBuilder version or haven’t tried PowerBuilder for a long time, this is definitely the version worth checking out!
We recommend starting with these three killer features below:
1. Instantly Modernize Your Apps UI
The UI Theme is a codeless UI modernization approach, which helps upgrade your app’s look & feel instantly. You can either apply one of the professionally designed pre-built themes (e.g., dark theme) or customize the theme according to your needs. In PowerBuilder 2019 R2, we greatly enhanced this feature. Enhanced this feature. Learn More
2. Scaffold a REST API in 120 Seconds
By leveraging DataWindow technology in .NET together with various C# code generation tools, you can develop and test a REST API in as little as 120 seconds. Coding in C# is centered around a non-visual DataWindow (i.e., .NET DataStore), which virtually eliminates the learning curve and boosts development productivity dramatically. Learn More
3. Upgrade Your Database
The latest version of leading databases is supported, along with some valuable new features. For example, Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and Oracle 19c are now supported, and for Oracle, the data types NCLOB, NCHAR, NVARCHAR2, BINARY_DOUBLE, BINARY_FLOAT, TIMESTAMP, XMLTYPE are now supported. Learn More
San Francisco, May 31 2019
PowerBuilder 2019 brings C# Web API & assembly development to PowerBuilder with the productivity that is the hallmark of PowerBuilder. A C# migration solution (framework and tools) is also provided so you can leverage existing code assets. PowerScript client app development is revamped with new UI technologies and cloud architecture.
- Empowering PowerBuilder with C# features
- New UI theme
- Incorporating TX Text Control as built-in editor
- New CompressorObject and ExtractorObject objects
- New Import & Export JSON functions
- New JSON format
- New Windows 10 style icons and small pictures
- Enhanced RESTClient object
- Enhanced HTTPClient object
- Enhanced JSONPackage object
- Enhanced JSONGenerator
- Enhanced JSONParser object
- 64-bit enhancements
- PBC enhancements
- New online installer — Appeon Installer
The first new installment of PowerBuilder: June 30 2017 Appeon is currently working on a new generation of PowerBuilder that will keep everything you love about native PowerBuilder development while supercharging your projects with proven standards and technologies.
In the coming releases, your existing projects will benefit from mobile and cloud deployment to test-driven development and continuous integration. PowerBuilder empowers you to build faster, better, business apps for Windows, iOS, and Android.
A simple, intuitive, and visual-driven IDE with rapid preview capability
Complex data access and manipulation is nearly codeless and database agnostic
An expansive set of objects, plus access to device-level functions
Projects deploy to all OSs and devices, or target a specific combination
Server-side components deploy to the cloud, and support Web APIs
Powered by a .NET middle tier, consume or expose non-visual assemblies
New in PowerBuilder 2017
This release was designed with ease of upgrade ability in mind for existing SAP customers. The desktop target brings some much-needed core enhancements, and a revolutionary new mobile target is introduced.
Upgrade Your OS and DB Both the PowerBuilder IDE and desktop apps can be reliably deployed to Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. Updated database drivers are supported for the latest versions of SQL Server, Oracle, SQL Anywhere, and ASE. Easily Generate PDFs Generate PDFs from within PowerBuilder itself. There is no need to go through cumbersome PDF printer installations or license expensive PDF libraries. Simple APIs are provided with flexible printing options. Go Mobile and Cloud A new Mobile Cloud App target is introduced (powered by Appeon Mobile). Most PowerBuilder functionality and Apache Cordova plugins are supported. Projects deploy to iOS and Android as well as leading cloud providers.